While we allow 35 minutes for the duration of the appointment, it generally takes much less time (depending upon your pet's attitude or how many you have!). It's our part of the paperwork that's the most time consuming which is no longer your chore!
- Do NOT apply a topical flea medication to your pet one week BEFORE microchipping. You may apply it one week AFTER microchipping is complete. Yes, we repeat this at the bottom!
- When your chipper comes to the door, greet him/her like your long, lost friend. This puts the pets at ease. Who needs tension? Chat casually for a few moments so your pet is able to dump its suspicion. These guys are as smart as whips!
- Cats are superb at hiding - so have him/her ready so the chipper spends as little time as possible in your home to let you and your pets get back to your normal routine.
- We purposely carry in as little paraphernalia as possible because animals KNOW when something is "going on" and are visually alert to "stuff" not normally in their environment.
- Pick out a firm area upon which we can place your pet that is about waist high.
- When you book your appointment, in the NOTES section include your pet's name, age, species (dog/cat/big/little/young/old, etc.), and any personality traits you think are important to know. A personality trait for your "chipper" to know might be something like, "Oh, he likes to bite off people's faces". Yes, that would be good to know in advance.
- If you suspect you may not be able to control your pet with some sufficiency, we have gentle little velcro muzzles we'll bring. There are no full body muzzles, so get your muscles out if you need them! Truly, you probably won't need anything but it's a helpful tip.
- Flea Applications: Apply one week before or one week after chipping.
- Here's another Handy Little Tip: if your pet is tired out before chipping, it makes the process MUCH easier on both of you! Try not to get your pet all hyper ahead of time.
- Most importantly of all: you, yourself, need to have a calm and easy manner. Since, technically, you will be an "assistant" it's vital that you are composed. Everybody has a squeamish moment, but you will surprise yourself at how efficient you really are!